Wednesday, July 19, 2023

Blog Entry #4

 Digital Audio Tools




        Digital audio tools can offer numerous benefits in the classroom, enhancing the teaching and learning experience for both teachers and students. I love the idea of having students create their own podcasts, as it encourages creativity and boosts their confidence in sharing ideas with peers. Podcasting seems to be extremely relevant in the media, making it a popular and engaging activity for older students. Digital audio tools also offer improved accessibility to students with different learning needs. I had a student with selective mutism this year. In her previous school years they assessed her reading by listening to her read on a recording sent in from home. She felt comfortable enough to read to me in person this year, but digital audio tools were able to provide her with a needed accommodation in her first few years of school. 

    I downloaded Audacity on my computer and played around with it a little bit. Unfortunately, I do not have an external microphone, and the microphone from my computer did not provide a clear audio. I ended up using my phone and the Voice Memos App. The audio was much clearer. I was also able to crop the audio right from the Voice Memos App. I explored the App store a little bit and found various Apps used to edit audio recordings.  I believe exploring different options in the classroom will help find the best tool that suits students' preferences and needs for their audio projects.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Katelyn! I downloaded Audacity and I don't have an external microphone either, but I didn't seem to have any issues with clear audio. I think it depends on the external microphone. I didn't think about using Voice Memos app. That is another great way to record. You bring up an excellent reason for Digital Audio to be used in the classroom with your student that has selective mutism. This is just another reason why it is so great to have this technology. I think it would be great for my students to make digital stories. They can type up their words and then read what they wrote.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Katelyn, I was also struggling with audacity, so was recommended to just use voice memos by my fiancé who works in IT. This worked much better for me, and could be useful for saying quick notes to myself or saying something for students if I was absent. I don't remember ever learning about selective mutism, but digital recordings are a great way to hear their reading via recording.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Entry #8

 Social Media      My perspective on using social media in my classroom is a blend of both positive and cautious viewpoints. Working with yo...