Friday, July 7, 2023

Blog Entry #2

 Digital Reading

            I was happy to see so many resources for finding free children’s e-books. The first website I explored was Amazon. I use Amazon a lot to download e-books for myself. I purchased a Kindle last year and find myself alternating between enjoying print books and e-books. I downloaded the book Feeling in Colors by Diane Alber. I liked how easy it was to purchase and download the book. The next website I explored was FreeBooksy. A children’s book that they recommended to get for free was Pepe the Key West Rooster by Victoria Scudder. The link redirected me to Amazon, and I purchased it there. Next, I explored OneHundredFreeBooks. It was very easy to navigate to the children’s section. They recommended The Flying Tree by Ingo Blum and sent me to Amazon to purchase it. Next, I looked at Freebook Sifter. Unfortunately, I was disappointed by the lack of book covers, making it difficult for children to choose books on this website. Also, the Children's eBooks section didn't provide appropriate options for younger children. One of the books listed was about addiction. I was able to find an appropriate book in the subcategory Early Learning, where they recommended The Great Rainbow Chase by Mark Rusk. I was sent to Amazon to download it. I would not recommend this website based on the inappropriate book found under the children’s category. The last website I explored was BookBub. I like that the books can be filtered by price and by retailer. I selected the book Marky the Magnificent Fairy: A Disability Story of Courage, Kindness and Acceptance by Cynthia Kern Obrien and bought it through Amazon.

When I opened each book in my Kindle app on my iPad, I noticed that the interface was very simple and easy to navigate. The e-books were not interactive. I liked the simplicity, but there wasn’t anything interactive about it that I think kids would like more compared to a print book. Marky the Magnificent Fairy: A Disability Story of Courage, Kindness and Acceptance was only formatted to show one page at a time, instead of the usual two page spread. I think this choice disrupted the story and made the illustrations hard to view.

I think digital reading in the classroom can be a valuable resource when implemented correctly, considering the student’s interests and skills. I have used digital reading in my third-grade classroom for the past two years. One of my students’ favorite websites was ‘EPIC!’. They loved all the story options, and they enjoyed that the story could be read to them. Some students still opted for a print book during reading time, but a lot of students looked forward to reading on their Chromebooks.

For my reading instruction we use Wonders, which comes with a digital component. Each week, we explore a new featured story as a class, analyzing it throughout the week. I liked the online component because it offered to read the text to the students and offered fun vocabulary and grammar games that I could assign to them. However, I received feedback from students expressing a preference for me to read the story aloud rather than relying on the computer. Although flattered, I was curious why they enjoyed being read to on EPIC! but not during our Wonders sessions. I also noticed that when I requested them to refer to the text throughout the week, students reached for their printed copies of the Wonders textbook instead of accessing the digital version on their Chromebooks.  As a result, I began reading the story aloud to them while still utilizing the Wonders online component for vocabulary and grammar games. This adjustment met their preferences while incorporating the benefits of the digital text.

As I work to implement digital reading in my classroom, I will continue to consider student preferences as well as using digital texts that enhance the reading experience. Next year I am teaching Kindergarten. It will be very important that they learn how to read and use print books, but I also want to introduce them to digital texts. While many students may already have some familiarity with digital texts, I will demonstrate how to transfer strategies from print reading to digital reading.

4 comments:

  1. As I was checking out the sites for free eBooks, I also noticed that many sent you to Amazon to either purchase the book, use Kindle Unlimited to get it for "free' or just read for free. While this is a great resource, not every child or teacher can purchase books. I would have liked to see more books that were actually free for kids, but that were also relevant. I noticed that many of the books for the upper elementary grades were not books that my students would have heard of. They tend to stick to authors that they or their peers have heard of. They struggle with the unknown and the lack of covers on many of the books could be problematic.
    I applaud you for teaching Kindergarten!!!! I think that it takes a certain type of person to do it and I am not that type. I wish you luck helping those kiddos navigate eBooks in addition to the print books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Katelyn,
    I also did the same thig, with opening the books on my kindle app on my iPad. I did not find any fascination out of it.
    My 3rd graders are obsessed with epic! they look forward to this all the time. My curriculum is also wonders! I do not have access to the digital component, but I find it interesting that they did not like the reading feature. I bet they just loveto hear your wonderful voice! Sometimes, those online features can be very dry, and lack prosody!
    Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Katelyn,
    I definitely agree with a mix of digital and actual books. I like to use both personally and with my students. I also really agree with you about Freebook Sifter, students would get bored I feel like on this site because the covers are not appealing or they all look similar. I was disappointed in that. I also talked about Epic! in my blog. I loved using that program with my students and they loved using it also. It isn't free but definitely worth the money. This past year I didn't have access to it and I was really bummed about that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Katelyn,
    I agree that Epic is great for engaging students in reading and also talked about it on my blog. I love the selections, the variety, and that I can see how much each student is reading. I also love that they have read-to-me books for students who are still at that level and that they have popular picture books and chapter books that students are interested in.

    ReplyDelete

Blog Entry #8

 Social Media      My perspective on using social media in my classroom is a blend of both positive and cautious viewpoints. Working with yo...